Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We Got Shrinkage.

It's not as much as the previous round of chemo, but the tumor is still getting smaller. I don't have an exact number yet because they were still doing their technical calculation stuff. It isn't a real tape measure after all. Next steps are for Dr. F. and Dr. A. to discuss whether the shrinkage is enough to operate or to determine if we (meaning me) should continue with the chemo. The doctors will have that discussion on Friday and let me know by phone.

The testing went well. I spent quality time with my great friend Greta, cousins Janet and Julie and sister Karen. As I mentioned in the previous blog, Julie provided comic relief in the staging area. The staging area is where I have to drink the last glass of barium and change into scrubs. At one point I believe the nurse was about to pee herself laughing so hard at Julie. She really shines in these types of situations. (Julie, you may want to consider a career change.) The staging area is also where I tend to start freaking out. Mainly because they've made me drink about a gallon of barium (and yes it tastes like ear wax) and the impending gloom of the enema. This barium, combined with the sensation of the iodine in the IV, the enema, the holding of the breath and the scan tube all work together to create a magical, claustrophobic situation for me. Julie actually came in the scan room with me to snap a few which I will post later. Then Nurse Ramone chased her out when the dirty work was to begin.

I had a good visit with Dr. F. He does a great job reminding me we are on the right track. Thanks for all the great emails and good wishes after the previous blog. Results on Friday.

Photos

kisses,
jan

5 comments:

sinutkomorgan said...

hey jan, thinking about you. maybe you should consider a career change -- how does "writer" sound? :-)

see you around soon, i hope.
natasha

Jan said...

Thanks Natasha. I'm not sure I could give up my day job for writing but juice bartender is a consideration as long as there is no hair net involved. I'm no good with hair nets...

John Doherty said...

Hey Jan, great news! I've done the barium milkshake myself. A couple of times, actually. That, of course, is not the great news but rather the bit about shrinkage. Excellent.

Unknown said...

Hey Janni Cakes ---
I will say my husband was a little worried when I started in on the "we have shrinkage" talk. But, once he found out I was talking about Tami, he gave me a Kick Ass high five!
Smooches from your Leander peeps.
-rana

Rachel Ganzon said...

GREAT news about the shrinkage! SMALL IS GOOD!!!!
We love you, Rachel & Kenny & Bubby