Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Doing Just Fine.

Greetings,
I don't have much to say this week. I just wanted to check in. It has been many days since my last communication so I thought I'd just ramble a bit. I had some difficulty getting my chemotherapy approved by my insurance this time which I found odd since this is the FIFTH FREAKING TIME I'VE BEEN PRESCRIBED THESE MEDS. We worked through it and I was calm, cool and collected. I only elevated my tone once.

Another tidbit you may not have known is that I can possibly use my cancer/chemotherapy to get out of jury duty, but cannot use jury duty to get out of going through this d@mn cancer. Seriously.

I'm on day ten of this round of chemo and doing fine. Unfortunately my chemo buddy, Bailey the dog, won't be here to sleep with me this time. Bailey was one of my sister Karen's dogs. I have a bedroom at sister's house which I stay in during the five days I am on Temodar. I don't like to throw up without someone in the vicinity. (I don't stay at Sharon's house for this event because I only have a bottom bunk there. I would also have to share a bathroom with three small boys, one of whom isn't very good at his aim.) Anytime I spent the night at Karen's, Bailey always slept with me in my room. I think she was afraid she was going to miss something fun. I used to think she slept with me because she felt guilty for not being one of those "cancer sniffing" dogs that could have sniffed out my tumor before it reached the "oh sh#t" stage. Dogs don't feel guilt, silly.

Unfortunately, Bailey passed last week so she won't be joining me for the rough days. It seems she was dealing with her own tumor which caused fluid to build up on her heart. If I were only a "cancer sniffing" human, I could have saved us both. We'll miss her. I do recall, however, that at the first sign of a gag, Bailey was on the other side of the house for the rest of the night. My up-and-down trips to the bathroom all night seemed to hinder her rest. I would sometimes catch her and my sister at the end of the long hallway checking in on me as I hugged the commode (toilet if you're not from the South). Occasionally I would hear a tiny "Jan, are you alright?" coming from the other end of the hall. I would just wave them on. Nothing to see here folks. I'm already wearing a ponytail holder so no need to hold my hair back. Move it on. Shows over.

There's your ramble. Thanks for checking in on me. Goodnight Bailey the dog.

smack,
jan


5 comments:

Rachel Ganzon said...

Ok, hearing about Bailey's passing made me sad.
I am glad you have provided an update, as I was wondering how the chemo was going. As I was reading to Kenny your jury duty comment, he said, "She could get a medical marijuana card." "Yeah, I'll tell her." Perhaps we are not the first to mention this? :-)
You're in our thoughts.
love, Rachel
p.s. "Commode"... I don't think I have heard that term since...I lived in the South!!

Unknown said...

Glad to read you're 'doing just fine'. Prayers, wishes, and happy thoughts coming your way for lots of shrinkage.

Jan said...

Rachel and Kenny,
You are not the first to mention the MMC. Many, many have inquired. Some of our friends, who have no other idea how to help out here, have offered their services on this matter. I have great friends. Thank you both for being in my corner. My niece has taken the place of Bailey this round. She doesn't seem to notice my up-and-down trips to the bathroom. Only notices my snoring? I think she's hearing herself snore.

Unknown said...

I'm astounded. I'm not astounded by your chemo/tamitumor thing because you'll kick it's a** in no time. No, I'm astounded that I found your blog during one of my infrequent late night why-am-I-on-the-internet-at-this-hour surfing episodes. Okay, more than that, I'm astounded to read you've become a hugger, although it's good information to have if I run into you again. Yes, I read the entire blog. No, I'm not going to ask about your bowels, but the whole puzzle phenomenon thing almost makes me want to go hang out at MDA to see if it's some kind of trend the rest of the country is going to pick up.

I'm glad to hear that if you have to go through this, you're in the best possible place for treatment and have the support of the best family & friends around you. Add another person to the list of people praying for you.

aka Horn

Jan said...

As I live and breath could it be my old friend, Sharron, from 4H? If so, please drop me a line at JKIKER@austin.rr.com or Jan.Kiker@freescale.com