Monday, July 7, 2008

Finally, an Update.

It’s been awhile since the last update, but oddly enough, you haven’t missed much. There was a trip to Crystal Beach with my family. I had two days of quiet before my sisters, nephews and niece arrived. I’m afraid at this point I’m used to the noise so it was a welcome relief when “the boys” and Tori arrived with fishing poles in hand. The highlights: many naps, crossword puzzles, 2008 Crystal Beach Phase 10 Championship (I came in third), fishing with Ben, D’Lisa’s funniest joke of 2008, a trip to Galveston with Beverly, absolutely no sunburn since no one would let me out in the sun, and a barbeque with the whole family.

Sure, there are more stories, like Sam (4) actually trying a wheatgrass shot and abruptly spitting it back out in my hand while choking out the words “ Awww gross Aunt Jan.” There was also another dubious incident in the bathroom, but all I could hear was Sharon putting everyone in timeout while she tried to figure out exactly what had been put into the toilet. Good, good, times. You can’t find that kind of fun in any luxury beach resort.

I started my 14-day chemo on the first week of the beach with little or no problem walking, exercising, napping etc. I had a couple of lengthy bouts with chest pains toward the end of the week, so I was taken off of the Xeloda until the cardiologist could advise. His team tweaked my drugs a bit and I was back on the Xeloda by Tuesday with no issues. Dr. BAH’s office gave me magical no vomit pills for my five days on the Temodar and they were very helpful. No heavering so far.

In general, all is well. I go to MD Anderson July 15-16 for more measuring. Again, I’m taking a fiercely optimistic approach and packing my robe and slippers, just in case. I have a number in my mind. I say it several times a day. The number is larger than 2cm, but smaller than 5cm. We’ll see.

“But how’s your head Jan? How are you handling this?” Those are questions I get quite frequently. I flounder between trying to grasp for some sense of normalcy versus being reminded regularly that I do have cancer, and that for 14 days of the month I struggle with the meds and my focus, concentration and being overwhelmed. However, I know I’m in good hands and the chemo is working. It’s actually shrinking the tumor.

Thanks for being patient with the updates and for all the support here in Austin, Houston, Fannett, and other cool places. I get lots of email and cards. Thanks and keep them coming.

Photos

smack,
Jan

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad the beach was entertaining. I find that time with family usually is [sometimes in twisted ways that just make you laugh]. I'm just returning from six days with my folks. Hope to catch up soon. Hugs--now that you are a hugger!