Saturday, March 24, 2012

Margaret = Greta

While I was in ICU, my friend Greta came to visit. She was visiting her Mom in Baton Rouge and drove over for the day. I think it was Saturday. I'm really foggy about some of these details so bear with me.

On day 3, The Dr. decided it was time to take me off the automatic pain killer. Really? No, really. The nurse thought I should use as much of it as I could before it was removed. She knew I was still pretty uncomfortable. The nurse was Nurse C, who was much more strict and in control than the previous nurse. At first it seemed Nurse C was crabby, but she wasn't. She was trying to stay on top of what I needed. It was time for me to sit up and move to the chair so I hit the pain button again. About that time "Margaret" came to the door. My back was to the door. I couldn't see her and everything was pain killer foggy. As far as I knew, I wasn't sure who "Margaret" was. Nurse got me in the chair after 30 minutes of trying to figure out my tubes and drains and unhooking me from certain things so I could sit down. Sharon came in and said, "Jan, Greta is here to see you." She asked Nurse if they could visit. Nurse gave them the stink eye, but let them in. I forgot I nicknamed my friend of almost 20 years "Greta". Short for Margaret. Sheesh, that damn morphine.

I was very foggy when they were in the room. I could see Greta and Sharon's mouths moving, but they forgot to turn the volume up. I didn't think they were talking to me. Maybe they are talking to each other? Greta is certified to practice Reiki. She was doing some Reiki with me to help with my healing. I kept seeing Nurse C walk by suspiciously giving stink eye. Time passed. I remember thinking Greta had on great earrings. Sharon looked tired. Their mouths kept moving. Goodness what were they saying? Surely they aren't still trying to talk to me. I needed to hold Greta's hand for awhile. I thought if I held her hand it would help me not be so afraid and maybe she could help pull me out of the hole I seemed to be in. For me, the six days in ICU was like being in a hole. A really deep hole I needed to climb out of. Everyone was cheering me on and telling me I could do it, but it was such a deep, dark hole. I did finally get out of it. Thanks you God.

Greta came by later that day. I remember that visit better. I was back in bed and I believe she did a bit more Reiki on me and I kept feeling better. I'm very thankful for Greta and her gifts and love, love, love. And not taking it personally that I forgot her real name for just a second. She helped me get a little bit further out of the hole I was in.

The next day, Nurse C came in bright and early. She checked my vitals and did other stuff. Before she left the room she asked if she could pray for me. I said, of course. So she did. I don't know if that happens very often with nurses and patients. Maybe it does, but for all the nurses I've had, she did some serious praying with her hands on my head. And she meant it. I am very grateful for that Nurse,. She always seemed to be crabby but she really wasn't. I laughed to myself later thinking maybe Nurse C was trying to undo some of the Reiki Greta had done with me the day before. I believe both worked. And all the other prayers, notes and calls to my family. It all worked. Thank you.

smak, pow tumor

2 comments:

gratitudenbliss said...

I choose to believe that Nurse C saw that you were open to receiving healing (i.e., Reiki) so wanted to add some of her own variety. It all comes from God, the One. <3

That's funny about our mouths moving and nothing coming out. You didn't miss a thing. In the afternoon, you were focused on watching the LSU Tigers so you could report back and be rewarded with ice chips.

Interesting to note that the sparkly earrings that made an impression on you were lost that day. They served their purpose in our lives.

I love you, my Jan. - Greta

Jan said...

I think Nurse Crystal wanted me to have balance in my healing. I agree. I'm sorry you lost your earrings, but yes they served a great purpose. Love you back.