Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Silver Bullet


I thought I'd use an actual photo of a silver bullet rather than the Coors Lite Silver Bullet, but the ones I found looked too phallic and weird. So you get the idea. And trust when I say it pains me to use the word "phallic" in a blog.

I started the study last Wednesday. http://utm-ext01a.mdacc.tmc.edu/dept/prot/clinicaltrialswp.nsf/Index/2006-0954 Let's call it the Tumor Eviction Project. (Or something else clever if I can think of it.) The first drug is Rad001 (Everolimus). I take this drug (in pill form) daily. Later in the month I'll add a drug called Avastin (intravenous). During my visit to MD Anderson, I was scheduled for a CT scan sans barium. CT scan with a twist. The twist was to drink a huge amount of water, as much as I could stand. I was given an IV for iodine and whisked away to the scan tube. The researcher studying tami explained that she'd be observing the blood flow in the tumor in addition to making scans. She also explained how I needed to breathe and that I'd feel a little sting at the site of the IV when the iodine was released. What she meant to say was, “Unlike the other CT scans you've had Miss Kiker, when the iodine is released, your arm is going to feel like it is going to explode. Just ignore it. Perfectly fine.” And I did.

After the scans and blood tests, I met with RN (Research Nurse) Melissa. She's very cool and got me started on the study. She also gave me a home test to turn back in when I visit on October 29. It's like college except the home test is a 24-hour urine test. So maybe not so much like college. If you see me walking (which you will not) around with a large orange jug, don't stop me and don't ask.

I also met with Dr. F. to discuss the scan results from the previous visit and then we were on our way back to Austin. I check in regularly with Melissa and keep a journal of information to turn in every 21 days. I'll keep you posted if anything exciting happens.

punch, jan


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jan,

I swear, every time I read your blog you make me laugh...in spite of whatever BS tami is throwing your way. I've carried that large orange jug....fortunately it was a day that I could stay at home and be a recluse. The jug of don't ask, don't tell. :) I hope the new Tumor Eviction Project goes as planned....I'll check in and follow the progress.

Take care,

Dawn Marie

Jan said...

Thanks Dawn Marie. And thanks for the great support here and on the CSL site.